There's a ton of great attractions just a couple of miles away from the wedding site, and it's easy to make a weekend of it without even venturing into Chicago proper.
- The Prairie Crossing Community (where the barn is located) has over 10 miles of trails, a pond with a community beach, an organic farm and an on-site farmers' market.
- The Liberty Prairie Reserve (connected to Prairie Crossing) has 3,200 acres of protected land and trails perfect for walking, biking and horseback riding. BYOH.
- The Chicago Botanic Garden (a half-hour away) will be in full bloom and in the middle of a Harvest Festival and Bulb Bazaar. We understand there will be donuts.
- Long Grove Antique Village (20 minutes away), in addition to the usual shops, dining and all-around quaintness, will be holding an Apple Festival that weekend.
- Six Flags Great America (14 minutes away) will be having its annual fright fest, which basically means you get to ride all the rides (our recommendation: the Superman) and get to see some folks wearing scary makeup, too.
- The Volo Auto Museum (12 minutes away) has some pretty cool exhibits, including the Ghostbusters car.
- The Libertyville Sports Complex (5 minutes away) has rock climbing, a driving range, a fitness center and lots more - even Zumba classes.
- The Jelly Belly Center (a half-hour away) is just over the state line in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. Highly recommended if you wonder how jelly beans are made.